In Canada, colleges, institutes and other non-degree granting institutions primarily offer diplomas and certificate programs in numerous semi-professional and technical fields, while universities focus on degree programs and university colleges typically offer degrees, diplomas and certificates. Nonetheless, some colleges offer degrees and some universities offer certificates and diplomas.
Diplomas and Certificates
- Offered at colleges, community colleges, technical and vocational institutions.
- Generally requires the successful completion of secondary school.
- This is a one to three year vocationally oriented program for diplomas, usually in a chosen career, technical or academic program.
- One year programs for certificates, with additional courses for an advanced certificates.
- University transfer programs are offered at some colleges.
- Offered at universities, university colleges and institutes.
- Requires successful completion of a secondary school program.
- A Bachelor’s degree can last from three to four-years, depending on the province and whether it is general or specialised.
- Diplomas and certificates also offered at some institutions.
- Typically, Honours Bachelor’s degrees are awarded for a higher degree of concentration or academic achievement.