Students who have obtained a Bachelor’s degree may continue their education through a Master’s degree or Doctorate degree also known, as a PhD. Graduate programs in the US are more specialised and intense than undergraduate programs, and they assume that students know the basic elements in their field of study.
In a Master’s program, which may be either academic or professional, students gain additional knowledge and training in a specific subject. Master programs are available in a wide variety of fields.
- A Master’s Degree is typically two-year program in a specific field.
- Academic Master’s include: Master of Arts (MA) and Master of Science (MS).
- Professional Master’s include: Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Education (MeD), Master of Social Work (MSW) and more.
- As part of the admissions process, most graduate programs evaluate students’ Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, among other criteria.
- As part of the admissions process, MBA programs assess students’ Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) scores, among other criteria.
Degrees in law and medicine are only offered at the graduate level in the US, and students must first complete a Bachelor’s degree before applying to a program.
Law programs teach practical skills to those who wish to become lawyers. A J.D. degree is required for admission to the bar in most US states.
- A law degree is a three-year program at a university.
- As part of the admissions process, universities evaluate students’ Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) scores, among other criteria.
- Upon the successful completion of the law degree students are awarded Juris Doctor (J.D.) certificate.
- Medical programs have a minimum length of four years at a university.
- As part of the admissions process universities evaluate students’ Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) scores, among other criteria.
- Upon successful completion of the program students are awarded with a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO).
If it is your ambition to gain a graduate degree from a prominent university or college in the USA you will need to take the GMAT ® ® or GRE. At Kaplan International, we are experts in preparing international students for these challenging tests, using the exclusive teaching materials and unique curriculum developed by Kaplan, the test preparation experts.
For direct access onto one of many masters degrees at Northeastern University join our Northeastern postgraduate pathways program. With lower admission requirements, earning credits and a conditional letter of acceptance this program give you the guarantees you might be looking for.
Doctoral programs involve advanced coursework, seminars, writing a dissertation, training students to become research scholars teaching a specific discipline at a college or university.
- The minimum length for the program is three years.
- As part of the admissions process a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test is required for most graduate programs.
- Upon successful completion of the program students are awarded with a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).