Fun Facts about the English Language
Did you know that the word "set" has more than 400 definitions? And that the English dictionary is over 400 years old?
Yes, not only is the English language rich in vocabulary and history, but it's also full of fun and entertaining trivia.
Here are some of our favorite facts:
- The word 'almost' is the longest in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
- "Dreamt" is the ONLY WORD in the entire English language that ends in the letters 'mt'.
- No words in the English language rhyme with "month", "orange", "silver" or "purple".
- "Rhythm" is the longest English word without a traditional vowel.
- The longest English word in the English dictionary, at 45 letters, is "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis".
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
- "Hungry" and "Angry" are the only words in the English language that end in "-gry.