How to Use Personal Pronouns
Do you know what personal pronouns are, and how to use them? Our guide will help you understand the differences between the pronouns and when to use each one!
Personal pronouns are used as substitutes for nouns and are commonly used in the English language. They can be spoken in the first, second or third person.
First Person – The subject of the sentence is the person speaking.
I am so tired today!
Second Person – The subject of the sentence is the person or people being spoken to.
You are very excited about your trip.
Third Person - The subject of the sentence is the person, people, or things being spoken about.
He is going to see a film this afternoon.
There are three common types of personal pronouns; subject pronouns, object pronouns, and possessive pronouns.
Subject pronouns are used as subjects of sentences:
- I like running.
- Do you like sports?
- He is watching television.
- She is smart.
- It is on the table.
- We are going on vacation tomorrow.
- They are twins.
Object pronouns are used as objects of verbs or prepositions:
- Pass the book to me.
- My son is named after you.
- Rob bought him a present.
- Her favorite color is purple.
- Give it some time.
- There are five of us coming to dinner.
- I will collect them from the airport.
Possessive pronouns show who or what owns something:
- My apartment is big.
- Your dinner is ready.
- His favorite subject at school is English.
- Her car is parked outside.
- The puppy dumped its water bowl.
- Our favorite city is New York.
- Their house is a five-minute walk away.
Can you complete the following sentences?
1. ______ are welcome. (speaking to one person)
2. Ian and Rosa have been travelling for a year. ______ come home next week.
3. Rob loves Italian food, ______ favorite dish is pizza.
4. Thanks for the flowers, I will put _________ in a vase.
5. Lucy’s birthday is next week. ______will be turning 25.
6. _____ love ice cream. (speaking about yourself)
7. I live with my friend. ________ house is next to a park. (speaking about a male friend)
8. The dog is chewing ___________ bone.
9. The Arctic Monkeys are my favorite band. I love __________ music.
10. Would ______ like to stay for dinner? (speaking to a group)