Fun Facts: The History of Text Messaging
22 August, 2014
Texting is one of the most popular methods of communication today, whether you do it through your phone's texting app, or through other means, like Whatsapp or Viber.
But do you know the history of texting?
- SMS means "short messaging service". MMS means "multimedia messaging service".
- The concept of SMS was first developed in 1984 in Germany but...
- The first text message was sent in 1992, in the UK. Back then, mobile phones didn't have keyboards, so the sender, Neil Papworth, had to type it on his PC. His text said "Happy Christmas" and was successfully received.
- In 1995, the average American sent 0.4 text messages per month.
- The first phone to have a full keyboard came out in 1997, it was a Nokia. However...
- It was not until 2000 that the average American sent more than one text a day.
- The first time a text message showed up on American TV was an episode of the X-Files, in 2001, called "Three Words".
- In 2010, 6.1 trillion SMS text messages were sent.
- WhatsApp is a messaging app that allows you to send messages over the internet. It was first released in 2009.The average WhatsApp user in 2014 sends more than 1000 messages per month.
- iMessage, a system for Apple devices that allows text messages to be sent over the internet rather than phone lines, was first introduced in October 2011. It is the first internet messaging app to be included with a phone's software.
Bonus: Check out what some of our students had to say about how texting affects their language.