In Australia, the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) governs educational qualifications that classify qualifications from Vocational Education and Training (VET) and higher education institutions. There has been a growing overlap between the two sectors, as the Vocational Education and Training Sector (TAFE and RTO’s) may now provide Vocational Graduate Certificates and Vocational Graduate Diplomas, and Universities may provide Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas (Higher Education).
AQF Qualification by Sector of Accreditation http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqfqual.htm
Certificate I through to Certificate IV prepare students for employment and further education and practical training in a wide range of fields.
- Offered at Technical and Further Education (TAFE), registered private training providers (RTO) and Adult and Community Educations centres
- There is no specified duration
- Typically there are no prior qualifications needed as entry requirements, but some courses may require demonstrated work experience or prerequisite subjects
Diploma and Advanced Diploma
Diploma and Advanced Diploma programs in Australia teach complex theory and practical elements in a wide range of technical and/or management functions.
- They are offered at TAFEs, private providers and Adult and Community Education centres.
- Two to three year program.
- Entry requirements typically require Certificate IV in the field of study, some courses may require additional demonstrated work experience or prerequisite subjects
Bachelor’s degree programs prepare students for professional careers and/or postgraduate study. A variety of programs are offered in Australia, including a professional degree, double degree, graduate entry degree and Honours degree.
- Requires a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12) or overseas equivalent. Alternatively an Advanced Diploma of Business will gain entry into most business related Bachelor Degrees and may also provide credit recognition.
- Three to four-year program at a university
- An Honours degree awarded after an additional year of research.