Personal Data We Collect
When you request information, enroll in our programs or contact us to become a partner, we collect personally identifying information such as your name, age, gender, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, educational and employment background and interests, and credit card information ("personal data"). If you are enrolling as a student, we may also collect other personal data, such as information regarding your health so that, if necessary, we can assess your application or make appropriate accommodation for you. In addition, if you send us an e-mail or communicate with us offline, we may collect the personal data that you voluntarily provide us at that time.
Use of Personal Data
We may use the personal data we collect from you in the following ways:
- Fulfillment of Requests. Kaplan may use personal data to fulfill the purpose for which such personal data was provided (for example to enroll you in our courses or to respond to a specific inquiry).
- Administrative Communications. We may use personal data to notify you about your enrollment or academic progress, other matters related to your use of our services, important information regarding the Site or changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information may be important to your use of our services, you may not opt out of receiving such communications.
- Other Communications. We may use personal data to inform you of special offers and new or existing services that we believe may be of interest to you or to send surveys or questionnaires so that we can learn more about your needs and interests. If you would prefer that we do not send marketing messages to you, please see the "Your Ability to Choose" section below.
- Purchases. When you enroll in our services, we may collect your credit card number or other payment account number (for example, your wireless account number), billing address and other information related to such purchase (collectively, "Payment Information") from you, and may use such Payment Information in order to fulfill your purchase.
- Promotions. We may operate sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions (collectively, "Promotions"). We may ask you for certain personal data when you enter and, if applicable, win a Promotion. You should carefully review the rules, if any, of each Promotion, as they may contain additional information about Kaplan International English's use of personal data. To the extent that the terms and conditions of such rules conflict with this Policy, the terms and conditions of such rules shall control.
- Internal Business Purposes. We also may use personal data for our internal business purposes, such as to improve the Site, allow us to personalize the content that you and others see based on personal characteristics or preferences, and perform data analysis, audits and so forth.
Disclosure of Personal Data
We may disclose personal and other data we collect from you in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We may hire other companies to perform services on our behalf including, without limitation, facilitating some aspects of our Site and services, managing our database, contacting you, sending e-mail, and fulfilling your requests. These other companies may be supplied with or have access to your personal data solely for the purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf. Kaplan is the data controller and will remain accountable for the personal information.
- Kaplan Affiliates. We also may share your data with other business divisions and subsidiaries of Kaplan, Inc. (our "Affiliated Businesses") that provide services we think might interest you.
- Business Transfers. Kaplan may in its sole discretion, transfer, sell or assign your personal data to a third party in connection with a change in the corporate structure of Kaplan such as, but not limited to, merger, consolidation, sale, liquidation, or transfer of substantial assets.
- Others. We may disclose personal information, as permitted or required by law, and to: (i) respond to inquiries or requests from governmental or public authorities; (ii) protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of Kaplan; (iii) permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damages that we may sustain; and (iv) enforce our agreements, including without limitation our enrollment terms and conditions.
- In some countries we work with representatives who may contact you directly and offer a personalised counselling service. These trusted partners may be supplied with or have access to your personal data for the sole purpose of providing services on our behalf.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Data
Your visit to our Site may automatically provide us with non-personal data that is not linked to personal data about you, such as your browser type, operating system, domain name, access times, and referring website addresses. We collect non-personal data for statistical analysis regarding the use of the Site and its specific Web pages and how our visitors use and navigate our website on an aggregate basis. Because non-personal data does not personally identify you, we may use or disclose such information for any purpose. If we do combine any non-personal data with personal data, we will treat the combined data as personal data in accordance with this Policy.
Transfer of Data Outside Your Country
As we are an international business with employees, affiliates and service providers all over the world, please note that the personal data you provide to us may be transferred to and processed and stored in the United States or other countries, including without limitation your home country, the country in which you plan to matriculate or other countries where Kaplan, Inc. has offices. Although the data protection laws of these various countries may not be as comprehensive as those in your own country, Kaplan will take appropriate steps to ensure that personal data is handled as described in this Policy. By providing personal data and other information to us, you understand and consent to the collection, use, processing, disclosure and transfer of such personal data to the United States and other countries where Kaplan, Inc. has offices and service providers.
Your Ability to Choose
If you have given us your contact data, we may want to inform you about our services or invite you to events by email, telephone or postal mail.
You can let us know if you do not want us to send you information about our products and services by telling us at the time you enroll or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can let us know if you do not want us to share your data with our Affiliated Businesses for their marketing purposes by telling us at the time you enroll or by contacting us at email@example.com.
Please note, however, that if you "opt out" as described above, we will not be able to remove personal data from the databases of Affiliated Businesses with which we have already shared personal data about you (e.g., prior to your opt-out request).
We are concerned with the security of the personal data we collect from you. Kaplan will take appropriate measures to: (1) protect personal data collected against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction; and (2) keep personal data accurate and up-to-date, consistent with applicable law.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, although we strive to protect your personal data, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us through or in connection with the Site or that is stored by us. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is not secure, please notify us of the problem immediately by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to Other Websites
Access and Correction
If you are a registered member of the Kaplan Partner Zone or Student Zone you may review and update your personal data by clicking the View Details in the Partner Zone control panel and Update My Profile in the Student zone. To the extent required by applicable law, you may be able to request that we inform you about the personal data we maintain about you and, where appropriate, request that we update, correct, and/or suppress personal data about you that we maintain in our active database. Such requests must be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com. Please note that even in countries where laws require us to delete or suppress personal data upon your request, we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping. In addition, we are not responsible for removing or updating your personal information from the databases of our Affiliated Businesses or third parties with whom we have already shared personal data.
Updates to This Policy
From time to time we may modify this Policy. We will announce material changes to the Policy by posting the revised Policy on the Site, and where required by applicable law, notifying you through a notice on our home page, information collection forms or via e-ail. You can determine when this Policy was last revised by checking the "Last Modified" legend at the top of this Policy. Your continued use of the Site and our services after any modification indicates your agreement to the new terms.
If you have questions or concerns about this policy or the Site, also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Payment deadline: All course fees must be paid in full no later than 30 days before the course starts. If a booking is made less than 30 days before the course starts, the fees are immediately payable. If payment in full has not been received, you will not be allowed to start your course.
Australia: For individual courses longer than 24 weeks, 50% of tuition fees and all other fees must be paid in full no later than 30 days before the course starts. If a booking is made less than 30 days before the course starts, the fees are immediately payable. The remainder of the tuition fees is required two weeks before the start of the second study period of any individual course.
3. Visa information: It is the responsibility of the student to arrange all applicable travel permits or visas and to have a valid passport and leave to remain for the whole period of study. The student may be asked to make payment in full prior to the issuing of any of the visa documentation referred to below:
UK: If your application is successful, we will provide a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (Tier 4 GSV and CSV applicants only). Tier 4 applicants must take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to establish their level of English before they apply for their visa. Students whose level of English is lower than intermediate should use the Student Visitor route SVV or ESVV. See the following website for further details: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/.
Ireland/Canada: We will provide you with an invitation letter to assist you with your visa application.
USA: Once we have received your application, we will send a Proof of Funds form, which must be completed in order for Kaplan to issue you a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I- 20), which is required in order to apply for a student visa at the US Consulate.
Australia: Visa application forms (Confirmation of Enrolment) may not be issued by the school until full payment has been received and the enrolment agreement has been signed and returned. The enrolment agreement includes reference to the pre-departure and grievance procedures information and can be found on our website: www.kaplaninternational.com.
New Zealand: In accordance with government regulations, visa support (Fees Receipt) is only issued by Kaplan when full payment has been received. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service and can be viewed on their website at: http://www.immigration.govt.nz.
4. Courier fees: If you enrol on a course in the USA less than 30 days before the course start date, a courier fee of USD55 will be charged to cover the expedition of visa documentation. If you enrol more than 30 days before the course start date, documentation will be sent by normal postal service, unless you request and pay for the courier service. In all other countries, a courier service is available on request at: GBP35, EUR55, CAD75, AUD75, NZD85.
5. Travel and medical insurance: Travel and medical insurance is compulsory at all Kaplan schools for the duration of your stay regardless of your course length or course/visa type. Kaplan can recommend a travel and medical insurance plan. Details of what this covers are available from your Kaplan representative. You are responsible for the belongings which you bring with you to Kaplan schools or accommodation and for taking out insurance for your own possessions. You are required to show proof of medical insurance at the school when you arrive. You will not be allowed to commence a course until you have obtained satisfactory medical insurance. All non-EU students studying in Ireland will also have to register with GNIB within 30 days of arrival.
Australia: The Australian government requires all students on Student Visas to join the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) scheme, a health insurance plan for overseas students in Australia. Payment of AUD 47/month for compulsory OSHC for the duration of the student’s visa must be made before a visa can be issued.
New Zealand: Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at http://www.moh.govt.nz. In addition, The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at http://www.acc.co.nz. Please note that Kaplan’s recommended travel and medical insurance must be booked for a minimum of 4 weeks.
6. Health declaration: Students must report, on their enrollment form, any mental or physical illness, allergy, disability or condition that may interfere with their ability to successfully complete their programme, that may impact the health and well-being of any other student, host or staff member, that may require monitoring, treatment or emergency intervention of any kind during the student’s anticipated period of enrolment, or that may require special accommodations. Kaplan reserves the right to reject an applicant or terminate a student’s enrolment in the programme if the student’s continued participation represents a risk to their health and safety or to the health and safety of other students or staff, or if, notwithstanding reasonable accommodations, in the opinion of Kaplan, the student’s physical or mental condition makes the student unable or unlikely to successfully complete their programme. Refunds in such circumstances are at the discretion of Kaplan.
USA: Some schools located on university campuses require students to provide a Health Declaration and Immunization form.
7. Tuition fees: Tuition fees include lessons, orientation meeting, use of computer room and internet, placement and progress testing and a Kaplan certificate on completion of the course. Kaplan reserves the right to withhold the granting of a certificate attained by a student if tuition fees or any other fees remain outstanding, or other conditions are not met.
8. Additional services: Any additional services (transfers, travel, laundry, telephone costs, excursions, medical costs, special diet, exam fees, change of accommodation and enrolment amendments) are not included in any fees unless specifically stated on a valid invoice.
9. Twin accommodation: At Kaplan’s discretion, students may be required to book single room accommodation instead of twin room accommodation.
10. Under 18 year olds: Kaplan delivers adult courses (except for programmes advertised as being fo young learners). Therefore, students aged 16 and 17 are advised that they will be attending classes with students aged 18 and over. Under 18 year olds may be required to pay a guardian fee, provide custodianship documents, live in Kaplan-approved accommodation, book Kaplan’s airport transfer service (these are compulsory in Australia and New Zealand) and purchase Kaplan medical insurance. All students under 18 must provide a signed Minor Authorisation form prior to arrival, and for Canada they must also provide a signed Health Declaration and excursion waiver form.
UK/Ireland: The British and Irish governments require all students under 18 to submit a Waiver form and an Authorisation of Emergency Medical Treatment form which will be provided at the time of booking.
1. Rules and regulations: Students’ arrangements with Kaplan are governed by the law of the country where the particular school attended is located.
2. Arrivals and departures: All accommodation is booked from the Saturday or Sunday before the course start date until the Saturday morning after the course end date, unless otherwise advised. A partial week may be counted as 1 week’s accommodation. Students arriving between 22:30 – 6:00 may be asked to book alternative accommodation in a hotel on their first night due to late/early arrival at accommodation, or be charged an extra night accommodation.
3. Late arrivals, vacations and absences: If you begin your enrolment late or are absent during your course, no refund will be made for the time missed. Periods of absence cannot be made up with a free extension of the course. Vacation dates are pre-built into the Academic Year and Academic Semester programmes and students cannot make changes to these dates. Breaks taken at other times will be marked as periods of absence. For other courses, granting of any Session Breaks after the course has started will be at the discretion of individual schools, according to visa regulations, and may incur a change fee or be marked as a period of absence.
4. Meals and classes missed: No refunds or substitutions will be made for meals or classes missed due to exams, excursions, internships, first day orientation or other obligations that fall outside the normal schedule.
5. Public holidays: Classes are normally not held and most school facilities are closed on public holidays. All published course start dates fall on a Monday. If the Monday is a public holiday, the start date will fall on a Tuesday. Compensation will not be made for classes not offered on public holidays.
6. Campus facilities: Students attending a Kaplan school at a university or college campus location are advised that campus facilities may not be available during campus holidays. Further details are available from the Kaplan booking office.
7. Change fees: A minimum of 4 weeks’ notice is required for any change. If you request a change of school location, course dates, accommodation or programme type after your course has started, you will be charged a change fee of GBP60, EUR85, USD100, CAD100, AUD75, NZD75 which is payable at the time the request is made. Kaplan is not obliged to fulfill any change request. Academic Year or Academic Semester students cannot transfer to a different Kaplan school during term time. If changing to a location where fees are lower, the difference in fees will not be refunded. If changing to a more expensive location or programme, the difference in fees will be charged. All changes are subject to Kaplan’s discretion and require approval of the Programme Director. You will not be charged a change fee if you extend your course, but late homestay extensions in Canada may require a re-placement fee of CAD100. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for any course or accommodation extensions. Any change of tuition resulting in a reduction in lessons will be treated as a termination of the existing booking and rebooking, and will thus be subject to the standard terms & conditions governing terminations (see ‘Termination Policy’).
8. Duration of lessons: All English lessons are 45 minutes in duration unless otherwise stated. Courses run from Monday to Friday and lessons are scheduled in the morning or the afternoon. Kaplan cannot guarantee a specific timetable.
9. Substitution policy: If, after the placement test taken on arrival at the school, a student is found to be at a level which is not appropriate for their booked course, the school reserves the right to place the student in an appropriate level class, which may have fewer lessons and a different curriculum. Students who do not have the ability to follow any course on offer may be required to terminate their studies with Kaplan. We also reserve the right to cancel courses at short notice due to insufficient demand.
10. Programme changes: Kaplan has the right to change course dates, course curricula, tutors, locations and programmes at any time at its discretion. However, in cases where the course is rescheduled prior to the start of the first course and the new date is unacceptable to the student, all fees will be refunded.
11. Prices: Kaplan has the right to change prices due to tax increases, governmental actions or other events beyond Kaplan’s control. Prices are valid for courses starting in 2014.
12. Books and learning materials: All books and learning materials will be made available to students during their course. A book deposit (USD40) may be charged at the beginning of the course. This will be refunded at the end of the course, if the books are returned in good condition. Some specialised courses may require the purchase of books. In Canada, New Zealand and Australia a materials fee is charged to students to cover the cost of such items.
13. Residential housing deposit: A refundable housing deposit of up to GBP250, EUR350, USD500, CAD600, NZD250-500 or AUD250 may be charged on arrival to students taking residential accommodation in the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. The deposit is returned unless there is damage, loss or extra cleaning to be paid for on the student’s departure. In some cases the deposit may be non-refundable if the booking is cancelled.
14. Expulsion/Suspension: Any student who commits a criminal offence, violates the student conduct code or school policy, has, in Kaplan’s opinion, a poor attendance record (whether or not such attendance is in breach of any visa attendance requirements), is absent for 14 consecutive days without notification (USA), or fails to pay an amount he or she is directly or indirectly liable to pay Kaplan in order to undertake the course, may be expelled or suspended. No refund will be given and the immigration authorities will be informed.
Student Code of Conduct: You agree to abide by the student conduct rules and other policies while attending Kaplan. As part of Kaplan’s commitment to our students’ success, we seek to provide an optimal learning environment and expect students to conduct themselves in a manner that is considerate of those around them. Inappropriate conduct includes but is not limited to: 1) disruptions to the learning environment (i.e. use of profanity, harassment, mobile phone use in classrooms, etc); (2) deliberate destruction, misuse, or theft of Kaplan property or the property of fellow classmates; (3) violence or threats of violence towards persons or property of students or Kaplan staff; (4) improper use of email or Internet access; and (5) failure to comply with local copyright or criminal laws forbidding the misappropriation, copying or alteration of copyright-protected materials.
15. Liability: The liability of Kaplan, its group companies, their directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents and partners with respect to losses arising from negligence (except where such liability cannot be excluded as a matter of law), breach of contract or otherwise will be limited in all circumstances to the full amount paid to Kaplan or the relevant Kaplan group company by the relevant student for the particular programme. Such companies and persons will in no circumstances have any liability for indirect or consequential losses or damages.
16. Force majeure: Kaplan will not be liable in cases where Kaplan is unable to fulfill any services to which they are contractually bound because of fire, natural disaster, act of government, failure of suppliers or subcontractors, labour disputes or other reasons which are beyond Kaplan’s control.
17. Codes of practice: Kaplan has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the New Zealand Minister of Education and by the Australian National Code of Practice 2007 and the Educational Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act 2000). Information on these Codes is available on request from Kaplan or from www.minedu.govt.nz and www.aei.gov.au.
18. Photography, Filming and Sound Recording: Kaplan or its representatives may arrange to photograph or shoot video footage of students for promotional purposes, both printed and online. Any student who does not wish to participate should advise us at the time of booking and state at the time of the photographing or video shooting the wish not to participate. By accepting these terms and conditions, the student (and their parent/guardian if under 18) gives consent to the use of these photographs or video footage without further consent or notifications.
19. Australia: Aspect Education Sydney Pty Ltd, WELS (Australia) Pty Ltd, Aspect ILA Perth Pty Ltd, Access Learning Institutes Pty Ltd and Kaplan International English Cairns Pty Ltd and Kaplan Business School Pty Ltd are trading as and referred to as Kaplan International Sydney City, Kaplan International Sydney Manly, Kaplan International Perth, Kaplan International Brisbane and Kaplan International Cairns, Kaplan International Melbourne and Kaplan International Adelaide. Agreement to the Kaplan Terms and Conditions does not remove the student’s right to take further action under Australia’s consumer protection laws, or their right to pursue other legal remedies under Australian law.
20. Student Visa Australia/UK/USA/Canada/New Zealand: Student visa holders are required to provide Kaplan with a current residential address and telephone number at all times, maintain satisfactory academic progress and attend a minimum of 80% of their course (in Australia/Canada/USA/New Zealand; 85% in New York). In the UK if ten contact days are missed the student will be outside the terms of their visa and will be reported to the UK Border Agency. Students who fail to show up for their enrolment or with less than 80% attendance (in Australia/USA/Canada/New Zealand; 85% in New York) or who miss ten days (UK) will be reported to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) in Australia, The Border Agency in the UK, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in the USA, Citizenship and Immicration Canada (CIC) in Canada, or to New Zealand Immigration Services. Information collected by Kaplan which personally identifies a student and information regarding a student’s course progress may be shared with the Australian State and Federal or British government, Department of Homeland Security, state and accrediting agencies (USA), designated authorities, the Tuition Protection Service (Australia), students’ parents, Kaplan staff and representatives. This information may include personal and contact details, course enrolment details and changes, and circumstances of any suspected breach by the student of any visa condition. Any school- aged dependents accompanying overseas students to Australia will be required to pay full fees if they are enrolled in either a government or non-government school.
For a full list of the terms and conditions specific to the USA or to California, please visit one of the documents below.
Refunds will be made via the Kaplan representative to whom the fees were originally paid, or to the student’s bank account in the same country in which the fees were originally paid. All refunds will be made within 45 days of written notification. In the event of Kaplan cancelling or terminating a course, a full refund of all unused fees will be made.
Australia: Refunds will be paid within 14 working days of written notification. In accordance with sections 27-31 of ESOS Act 2000, providing the student has not withdrawn before the default day, Kaplan will pay a full refund to the student within 14 days if the course being offered does not commence on the agreed starting day; or the course stops being provided at any time after it starts and before it is completed; or the course is not provided in full to the student because a sanction has been imposed on the college. This agreement, and the availability of complaints and appeals process, does not remove the right of the student to take action under Australia’s customer protection laws.
Canada: A refund will be made less all nonrefundable service charges (airport transfer, courier fees, enrolment fees, medical insurance, accommodation placement fee, administrative fee, etc.) and a CAD100 change fee.
‘Cancellation’ means cancelling a course before the start date of the first course you are attending. Except as provided below for Canada, the USA, New Zealand and the UK, in all other cases where cancellations are made in writing 7 days or more before the arrival date listed on the booking confirmation form, or on written notification of a visa rejection and receipt of relevant supporting documentation, 100% of the tuition and accommodation fees will be refunded, but in all cases, the courier fee, accommodation placement fee (if utilised), enrolment fee (refundable in New Zealand) and any other service charges are nonrefundable. For cancellations and postponements made less than 7 days before the arrival date listed on the booking confirmation form including failure to show up, tuition and accommodation fees will be refunded less one week’s accommodation fee (two weeks’ accommodation fee for hostels and apartments in Australia) and a tuition fee of GBP100, EUR150, USD200, CAD200, AUD240. In all cases, the courier fee, enrolment fee, accommodation placement fee, medical insurance and any other service charges are nonrefundable. In all cases where a visa or visa support documentation has been issued, the relevant immigration authorities will be informed. In the event of a postponement, you may be re-booked at the rates currently in effect at the time of re-booking.
Canada: A refund will be made less all non-refundable service charges (airport transfer, courier fees, enrollment fees, medical insurance, accommodation placement fee, administrative fee, etc.) and a CAD100 change fee.
US: ‘Cancellation’ refers to the period up to the start date of the first course you are attending. Cancellations must be made in writing and in these cases, providing the student never attends, 100% of the tuition and accommodation fees will be refunded, less any actual housing costs incurred; in all cases, the courier fee, accommodation placement fee (if utilized), enrolment fee and any other service charges (eg. Airport transfer fee, medical insurance, campus fee, programme supplement fee, etc) are non-refundable up to a maximum charge of USD500 (USD250 in California). Cancellations made prior to the course start date but after arrival in the US on a Kaplan-issued Form I-20, will result in forfeiture of tuition, and any associated accommodation fees, equal to the first 4 weeks or courses between 1-11 weeks and the first 6 weeks for courses 12 weeks or longer.
New Zealand: Tuition (in accordance with the NZQA and Kaplan refund policy):
- Courses of 13 weeks or longer: cancellations or terminations made prior to or within the first 10 working days of the course will be refunded in full, less a deduction for costs incurred by Kaplan, up to a maximum of 25% of the total fee paid. Kaplan will provide you with the details of the cost components for the purpose of working out the maximum deductible percentage. In the event of a dispute over the cost component deducted, you can refer the matter to the International Education Appeal Authority (IEAA).
Courses 2 to 12 weeks
- Courses of 5 weeks or more but less than 3 months: Where a student withdraws within the first 5 days of the course for which attendance is required (i.e. Orientation). Kaplan may retain up to 25% of the full amount of any payments made by the student in respect of the course, and will refund the balance to the student.
- Courses of up to and including 4 weeks and 6 days: Where a student withdraws within the first 2 days of the course for which attendance is required (i.e. Orientation), Kaplan may retain up to 50% of the full amount of any payments made by the student in respect of the course, and will refund the balance to the student.
Students who withdraw before the course commences will also be subject to the above criteria.
UK: Visa students: once a CAS number has been issued confirming full time status, no refunds or course cancellations are permissible other than in the instance of visa refusal and subject to meeting the following criteria: the amounts paid will be refunded, less an administration charge of GBP150 (inc. VAT) (plus any courier and transfer charges) on production of the following documents: (1) an agent certified copy of the visa refusal letter (GV51), (2) an agent certified copy of the student’s passport showing both a photograph and signature; (3) where the payor was not the student, an original authority letter from the student authorising the repayment to the payor and (4) where the student is already in the UK, evidence satisfactory to Kaplan that the student has left the UK. Refunds will only be made under this paragraph if requested in writing with the necessary supporting documents within four weeks after the commencement of the course (published date). In circumstances where an application is refused by UKBA on the grounds of fraudulent documentation or other irregularities, no refunds will be granted in respect of monies paid. Where students are studying on a Student Visitor Visa or a Child Visitor Visa, no refund will be given where the cancellation is received less than 7 days before the programme commencement date. For cancellations which are received 7 days or more before the programme commencement date, 100% of the tuition and accommodation fees will be refunded, but the courier fee, accommodation placement fee and any other service charges will be non-refundable.
‘Termination’ means stopping or leaving all or part of the course or courses booked, including extensions, once the first course has started. When determining the number of weeks completed, a partial week will be counted as a whole week, provided the student was present at least one day during the scheduled week. Used weeks of discounted tuition and accommodation packages will be charged at the full brochure weekly rate when any refund is calculated.
In all cases additional service charges (eg. airport transfers, courier fees, enrolment fees, medical insurance, accommodation placement fee, programme supplement fee, etc.) are non-refundable and written notification of termination must be given to the school Principal or Director. Students who terminate their programme may not be eligible to receive a Kaplan certificate and will not be allowed to stay in Kaplan accommodation.
UK, Ireland, and Australia: No refunds will be made for tuition. Tuition fees are non-transferable to other students.
Canada: Students wishing to terminate must give 4 weeks’ notice to the School Director. The refund will be calculated as below according to the percentage of the course completed including the notice period:
- after up to 10% of the programme has been completed: 50% refund of unused tuition fees
- after 11-29% of the programme has been completed: 30% refund of unused tuition fees
- after 30% or more of the programme has completed: 0% refund of unused tuition fees
USA: For all English courses including Vacation, General and Intensive English, Academic Year/ Semester General/ Intensive, English for Business and Intensive English for Business, the first 4 weeks shall be forfeited and refunds will be calculated as follows for terminations made:
- Anytime during the 1st four weeks: 4 weeks tuition shall be charged and 100% of the remaining unused tuition shall be refunded
- After the 4th week and up to halfway through the course: a pro-rata refund of the remaining unused tuition
- After 50% of the course has been completed: no refund
For all Test Preparation courses, including GRE®, GMAT®, CAE, FCE and TAE, refunds will be calculated, as follows for terminations made:
- after 1 training session* but before 2 training sessions*, 75% of tuition paid (less shipping fee)
- after 2 training sessions* but before 3 training sessions*, 50% of tuition paid (less shipping fee)
- after completing 3 training sessions*, no refund
*Due to the wide selection of Kaplan training resources offered, a training session is defined as any of the following: 1) one class (teaching session or proctored exam); 2) one visit to the in-centre training library; 3) use of online training resources (workshops, quizzes, online Diagnostic, etc); 4) one tutoring or consulting session; 5) use of the homestudy materials.
Students in California will sign a California State Enrollment & Refund Agreement form.
New Zealand: The same conditions apply on termination as to cancellations. See cancellation policy above.
In all cases where a student terminates his or her studies the relevant immigration authorities will be informed.
Accommodation: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand: Students must give 4 weeks’ notice (or 8 weeks’ notice for discounted accommodation packages) in writing to the School Director/Principal. A refund will be made of the unused accommodation fee less the applicable notice period and the applicable change fee. For terminations made after 50% of the booking has been completed, no refund will be given, except in Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
Special conditions apply to our Partner School in Malta: Cancellations must be made at least 14 days before the first course start date for a full refund of accommodation and tuition fees. For late cancellations made less than 14 days before the course start date, a refund will be made less one week’s accommodation and tuition fees. No fees will be refunded if a programme is terminated after the start date of the course.
These Terms and Conditions may differ according to any changes in the policy made by the accrediting body or government where the school is located. You will be notified at the time of booking of any such amendments. Any dispute, claim or other matter arising will be subject to the current laws in the destination country. In these Terms and Conditions, Kaplan refers to all Kaplan International group schools including Kaplan International English, Kaplan International Colleges and Kaplan International Centers.
This website is owned and operated by Aspect Education UK Ldt (Company No. 4053877. Registered in the UK. VAT Number: 152088224), whose registered office is at 2F, Warwick Building, Kensington Village, Avonmore Road, London, W14 8HQ.
For the purposes of these Website Terms and Conditions "We", "Our" and "Us" refers to Kaplan, a division of Kaplan, Inc. Please review these Terms and Conditions carefully before using this website. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
All trade marks, copyright, database rights and other intellectual property rights in the materials on this website (as well as the organisation and layout of this website) together with the underlying software code are owned either directly by us or by our licensors. Without our prior written permission, you may not copy, modify, alter, publish, broadcast, distribute, sell or transfer any material on this website or the underlying software code whether in whole or in part. However, the contents of this website may be downloaded, printed or copied for your personal non-commercial use.
You may only use this website in accordance with these Terms and Conditions and, in any event, for lawful and proper purposes which includes complying with all applicable laws, regulations and codes of practice within the UK or other jurisdiction from which you are accessing this website.
In particular, you agree that you will not: post, transmit or disseminate any information on or via this website which is or may be harmful, obscene, defamatory or otherwise illegal; use this website in a manner which causes or may cause an infringement of the rights of any other; make any unauthorised, false or fraudulent booking; use any software, routine or device to interfere or attempt to interfere electronically or manually with the operation or functionality of this website including but not limited to uploading or making available files containing corrupt data or viruses via whatever means; deface, alter or interfere with the front end "look and feel" of this website or the underlying software code; take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on this website or related infrastructure; obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorised access, via whatever means, to any of our networks. Without prejudice to any of our other rights (whether at law or otherwise) We reserve the right to: cancel your bookings without reference to you; and/or deny you access to this website where we believe (in our absolute discretion) that you are in breach of any of these Terms and Conditions.
CHANGES TO THIS WEBSITE
We may make improvements or changes to the information, services, products and other materials on this website, or terminate this website, at any time without notice. We may also modify these Terms and Conditions at any time, and such modification shall be effective immediately upon posting of the modified Terms and Conditions on this website. Accordingly, your continued access or use of this website is deemed to be your acceptance of the modified Terms and Conditions.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
This website may include links to other internet sites. We do not endorse any such websites and we are not responsible for the information, material, products or services contained on or accessible through those websites. Your access and use of such websites remains solely at your own risk.
You may only link to this website with our express written permission. We expressly reserve the right to withdraw our consent at any time to a link which in our sole opinion is inappropriate or controversial.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
In no event will we be liable for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, exemplary or consequential losses or damages of whatsoever kind arising out of access to, or the use of this website or any information contained in it, including loss of profit and the like whether or not in the contemplation of the parties, whether based on breach of contract, tort (including negligence), product liability or otherwise, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
To the maximum extent permitted by law, we disclaim all implied warranties with regard to the information, services and materials contained on this website. All such information, services and materials are provided "as is" and "as available" without warranty of any kind.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold us harmless from any liability, loss, claim and expense (including reasonable legal fees) related to your breach of these Terms and Conditions.
BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Website Terms and Conditions refer only to your use of this website and separate conditions apply to our online bookings. Our online booking terms and conditions can be viewed above: Terms and Conditions.
These Terms and Conditions contain all the terms of your agreement with us relating to your use of this website. No other written or oral statement (including statements in any brochure or promotional literature published by us) will be incorporated.
Kaplan makes no warranty whatsoever for the reliability, stability or any virus-free nature of any software being downloaded from this website, nor for the availability of the download sites where applicable.
All software products downloaded from any section of this website or via a link pointed to by this website are downloaded, installed, and used totally and entirely at the users own risk.
Your use of this website, any downloaded material from it and the operation of these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by, construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. We reserve the right to bring proceedings in the Courts of the country of your residence.
Throughout this website the terms "partner(s)" and "partnership(s)" are used to refer to individual marketing or co-operation agreements and not to any relationship which has specific legal or tax implications. Kaplan cannot therefore accept any liability for the conduct of these partner organisations.
Cookies and Other Technologies
A cookie is a string of information that is sent by a website and stored on your hard drive or temporarily in your computer's memory. Cookies are small files and won't pose any significant disk-space concerns. You can disable our cookies using the cookie-menu on your Web browser, but doing so may materially affect the functionality of this Site and the information you can access through it. To learn more about cookies and browser functionality, search for "cookies" in the help function of your browser.
We and our service providers also may use so-called "pixel tags", "web beacons", "clear GIFs" or similar means (collectively, "Pixel Tags") in connection with some Site pages and HTML-formatted e-mail messages to, among other things, compile aggregate statistics about Site usage and response rates. A Pixel Tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel (1x1), that is ordinarily not visible to Site visitors and may be associated with cookies on the visitors’ hard drives. Pixel Tags allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the Site, to deliver branded services, and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns.