Halloween trivia: Pumpkin ideas to try at home!
Pupkins are the most popular go to during Spooktober! Little by little they're making their way also outside of the American culture into all sort of places around the world; with pumplin carvings being the most popular activity.
Some trace the origins of this tradition back to the strange phenomenon called Jack-o'-lantern or Will-o'-the-wisp. In English folklore, it is thought that the sould of the departed sometimes take the form of blue sudden flames in the forest, and they guide (or missguide!) the adventurers who visit them.
But there's so many things you can do with pumpkin! Check out some of the halloween trivia and ideas below that you can try at home:
1. pumpkin spices for cooking
Pumpkin spices have become a sensation in the Halloween season. Many big companies use them especially for drinks and desserts (ehem, pumpkin spiced latte, ehem).
But you can use this spice to make many of other meals spooky! These are the ingredients you can totally swap for pumpkin spice:
An these are the meals that go really well with!:
- whipped cream
- any baking batter
2. pumpkin picking around the world
This is a very American concept. Just like they do with Chrstmas trees, you can also go with your family and pick your own pumpkin to carve. There are a few places you can do this in the English speaking world:
- USA: There are many pumpkin farms in the US, but ur favourite are situated very close to where we have a Kaplan International Languages English school: California: Jack Creek Farms & New York: Stakey's Pumpkin Farm
- UK: If you're staying in London, there are a few places you can go. Some of these include Crockford Bridge Farm, Surrey; Four Winds Farm, Bidborough, Kent; Foxes Farm, Basildon and Colchester, Essex
3. halloween pumpkin ideas for carving
You can use the pumpkin itself for many things, but carving is the most seasonal activity you can do with them. Jack'o lanterns are supposed to have scary eyes and mouth... But have you tried being more creative with them?
You can try printing black and white drawings and images, place them on top of your pumpkin and carve them up to create amazing custom designs. Don't forget to cook yummy pumpkin soup once you've finished!