Brexit - FAQs

Have a question about studying English in the UK after Brexit?
Kaplan - Brexit FAQs

Here’s a summary of frequently asked questions


Is it mandatory to have a visa to enter the UK?

From 1 January 2021 EU, EEA and Swiss citizens will be subject to post-Brexit UK immigration rules and procedures, however, they will be able to travel to the UK with minimal immigration checks under the Visitor Route for short trips or study. Students do not need to apply for a visa for stays up to six months and immigration permission to remain in the UK for six months will be granted on arrival to the UK.

To study for longer than six months, students must apply for:

1. A Short-Term Study Visa (STSV) to study English language in the UK. This visa is only for English language courses lasting longer than six months and up to 11 months.

2. To study for over a year, you must apply for a Student Route Visa which is only available at Kaplan Edinburgh

Can I continue travelling with my ID instead of my passport?

You should start to use your passport which must be valid for the whole time you will be in the UK. There is a transition period until 1 October 2021 when you will still be able to use an ID card to travel.

After 1 October, EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will not be able to use an ID card to enter the UK. Kaplan strongly recommends that all students booking a Kaplan course travel with their passport.

How far in advance do I need to apply for my visa?

The Visitor Visa

No formal application is required, so upon your arrival you should have your offer letter and proof of accommodation available to show you are studying at an accredited institution if requested for checking.

Short-term Student Visa (STSV) and Student Visa

You can apply for a Short-term Student Visa (STSV) up to three months before traveling to the UK and you can apply for a Student Visa (CAS) six months before you travel to the UK. If your application is successful, you’ll be given either:

  • a sticker (called a vignette) that goes in your passport - if you gave your biometric information at a visa application center
  • access to view your immigration status information online - if you used the smartphone app to prove your identity

The vignette or online immigration status information will show:

  • what you’ve been granted (for example, a Student Visa)
  • the dates your visa is valid (start date and end date)
  • the conditions of your visa

You should receive a decision on your visa within three weeks of attending your appointment at the visa application center or within three weeks of submitting your application.

What documents for my course or proof that I am going to do a course do I have to show upon my arrival?

You must ensure you carry the relevant documents to show you have been accepted onto a course of study at an accredited institution. These documents include an offer letter or a booking confirmation. and if you are under the age of 18 at the time you enter the UK, your Under 18 Parent/Guardian Consent forms and proof of accommodation.

Can I extend my course in the UK?

Students on a Visitor Visa can extend their course to a maximum of six months (the visa expiry date).

Students on a Short-Term Study Visa can stay in the United Kingdom for a maximum of 30 days after the last end date of their original course.

If you are on a Student Route Visa studying at Kaplan Edinburgh, you can apply for a visa extension from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). The length of the visa granted to you by UKVI will depend on the length of the next course you are applying for.

How much does it cost to apply for a UK Visa?

Short-Term Study £186.00

Student Route £348.00. (Kaplan Edinburgh only)

What documentation does Kaplan provide for me to do my visa application?

Students on a Visitor Visa Kaplan will provide you with a booking confirmation document, a letter of acceptance and, if you are applying for the Student Route visa, you will receive a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies.

Can I apply for the pre-settled status after January 2021?

Students on a Visitor Visa No, you can only apply for pre-settled status if you have lived in the UK prior to 31 December 2020.

I am thinking of taking an Academic Year course. Can I avoid applying for a visa if I enter the UK for six months and then leave and come back in again?

Students on a Visitor Visa Visitors can only stay in the UK for up to six months. You should not apply for multiple Visitor Visas. If you wish to study and your Academic Year is longer than six months and shorter than 11 months, you will need to apply for a Short-Term Study Visa.

How do I count my six-month entry as a visitor?

It is counted monthly – for example, if you enter the UK on the 4 January, your Visitor Visa will be valid for six months, therefore your visa will usually expire on 4 July.


Is it possible to study in the UK now?

Of course – you can study for up to six months as a Visitor, for up to 11 months on a Short-Term Study Visa or longer on a Student Route Visa.

Can I enter the UK and do an online course if the school is closed as a result of the pandemic?

If there are no travel restrictions put in place by either the UK Border Office or your home country, then you can enter the UK as a Visitor for up to six months, or on a Short-Term Study Visa for up to 11 months. You can enroll in our online courses if no face-to-face classes are possible at that time.


Can I study and work in the UK without a visa if I am staying for less than six months?

If you arrive after 1 January 2021, you are not permitted to work if you are on the Visitor, Short-Term Study Visa, or Student Route Visa. You may only work if you have successfully obtained settled or pre-settled status or have otherwise acquired a right to work in the United Kingdom.

Can I work with a Student Route Visa in the UK (whilst studying at Kaplan Edinburgh)


Can I work in the UK without a visa?


Can I do an internship?

Students entering the UK as Visitors or on a Short-Term Study Visa are not allowed to undertake work of any kind, including job shadowing, unpaid internships, work experience or work placements. Each of these is work and is not permitted.

How can I work in the UK as a European?

If you want to work in the UK from 1 January 2021 and you do not hold pre-settled or settled status, you will need to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa. Students are not allowed to work (see above).


is Brexit going to change the accommodation rules?

No, there are no changes to accommodation rules. Students should have their accommodation pre-booked before arriving in the UK. This applies especially to under-18 students who must have arranged accommodation before they enter the UK.

Under 18s must also have the required parental/guardian consent documents to present on arrival at the UK border.

Medical Insurance

Does the European health card still cover me in the UK? / Does my European medical card work in the UK or do I need private insurance?

An EHIC or GHIC covers state-provided healthcare, not private medical or dental treatment. With an EHIC or GHIC you can get emergency or necessary medical care for the same cost as a resident in the country you are visiting. This means that you can get healthcare at a reduced cost or for free. For more information, see the website dedicated to this subject:

An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance – it does not cover everything, such as mountain rescue or being flown back from the UK (medical repatriation). Make sure you have both travel insurance as well as your EHIC or GHIC before you travel

Is it mandatory to have private medical insurance to travel to the UK?

We strongly recommend medical insurance for all students and it is mandatory for under 18ss (as per our terms and conditions) for your entire stay with us. We can provide insurance if you need insurance, but please tell your education advisor in advance.

Does the Kaplan medical insurance in the UK cover the PCR tests?

No, the Kaplan medical insurance does not cover the PCR test, it only covers emergencies.


Does Brexit affect travel to Scotland?

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom and as such the same rules apply to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens entering Scotland.


Will Kaplan refund my course money if I am denied a visa?

Yes, we will refund you in full minus the courier fee and application fee. For more details please read our terms and conditions.