Learn about our company, our employees and how we can change your life.
Benefits of taking a gap year
What is a gap year?
A gap year is when a student decides to take a prolonged break (usually a year) between high school and college/university, or between university and work. There are many reasons why students might decide to take one, but generally it is seen as a chance for them to gain valuable life experiences before continuing their professional or academic journey.
Are you thinking of taking a gap year? Then read on and discover the different types of gap years and why you should think about taking one.
Different types of gap years
Not all gap years are created equal, and there’s more than one way to do it. Most people are familiar with the type of gap year where teenagers travel the world and have crazy experiences, but this isn’t always the case. Firstly, you don’t have to be a teenager, and secondly, you certainly don’t have to go wild. Gap years depend entirely on personal preferences and goals – let’s go through some of the most popular types of gap years you can have if you decide to travel:
- Travel to a specific country where you can work and earn money while you explore
- Travel to a specific country and volunteer with a charity while you explore
- Work in one country for half of the year, then have fun travelling for the rest of the year
- Travel to as many countries as possible throughout the year and explore local culture
- Travel around a specific continent
- Travel to a particular country and learn a new skill (such as cooking in Italy)
- Travel to an amazing country and learn a new language while exploring and having fun (which you can do with Kaplan!)
What are the benefits of a gap year?
Now that we know there’s more than one way to take a gap year, what are the benefits of doing one? What will you get out of it?
- Learn about other cultures and gain a new perspective on the world
- Form lifelong friendships and connections with people from around the globe
- Live independently and build confidence in yourself and your abilities
- Have fun and make memories that last a lifetime!
- Overcome challenges and develop your problem-solving skills
- Discover yourself and what you really want from life
Taking a gap year with Kaplan
Gap years are 100% customizable, can last as long as you like, and can be tailored to fit your dreams! If that dream is learning English and opening professional doors for yourself that you never knew existed, then our Kaplan Gap Year programs could be perfect for you. We offer a range of year-long programs that combine immersive learning in one of our worldwide schools, with exciting social activities and trips.
By choosing a long-term English course, you are giving yourself the best chance to achieve the level you want – after all, the longer you learn, the more you learn! We also offer Guaranteed Progress on select courses, which ensures you advance at least one level every 10 weeks, or your money back. So, whether you want to focus on exam preparation for the IELTS or TOEFL, or just improve your day-to-day English, give yourself the best chance of success with Kaplan!
Discover our Gap Year courses today on our website and take those first steps to having the adventure of a lifetime.