FAQs - General Information

This page will answer your frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer to a specific question here, please contact us.

What days will my school be closed?

At all of our English language schools we have regional and national public holidays. On these days there will be no classes, and in most cases the school will be closed. Please see the list here to see what public holiday closures apply to your country of interest.

Is taking an English course abroad better for my career options?

Yes! You will benefit from an educational and networking experience in a foreign culture. You will also meet people from different backgrounds and improve your conversation skills.

Read more about the benefits of learning English.

What type of English course should I choose?

A long-term program is the best choice if you have a lower English level. We offer Academic Semester or Academic Year courses which cover 2 or 3 language levels.

If you do not have much time or want to study quickly, consider an Intensive English course.

Take a Vacation English course if you do not have time to apply for a student visa to the USA or UK, or would like a light workload

For a more career-focused course, take one of our Business English courses.

For those interested in enrolling for college credit in the USA, we offer university foundation courses in Seattle and Irvine, California. After taking a 12-week foundation course, you have the opportunity to transfer into the school.

What destination should I choose?

The destination is up to you! Think about how much money you have to spend while you live abroad and what type of visa you can get. See our destinations.

If you want more guidance, please contact an education advisor to discuss different locations with you.

What does my English level need to be to study with Kaplan?

For most of our courses, you can be any level of English. The only ones that require a specific level are Business English courses (intermediate), Work and Study (intermediate) and test preparation (upper intermediate).

Can I change my school before I arrive? Can I change after I arrive?

USA – Yes, but you will need to request a new I20 and pay a fee.

UK – If you are on a Short-term study visa this is possible. If you are on a Tier 4 visa you may change Kaplan locations – please contact us for further information.

Canada – Yes. However, after arrival you cannot enter a course that requires a work permit.

All other countries – Yes, but you will need to pay any fees. Your education advisor can give you a complete explanation. 

When should I arrive at my destination?

Classes start on Mondays, so we recommend you arrive on the Saturday or Sunday before your start date.

Are Kaplan courses accredited?

Yes, all Kaplan International English schools are accredited by local government-recognized organizations. See a full list of Kaplan International English accreditors.

Do I get a certificate or diploma after the course?

You will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of your course, which will show your level of English, the dates on which you have studied and your attendance.

How will Kaplan confirm my English language level?

On your first day of class, you will take an English test on your grammar, writing, listening and speaking skills. Your class level will be based on your test results. If you want an idea of your English level right now, you can take our free online English test.

How much can I expect to learn after a 2-week, 4-week, or 12-week course?

Every student learns at different speeds, however, on average, a student needs 10 weeks to move from one level to the next.

Will there be teachers who speak my native language?

We teach our courses purely in English. However we will find a translator for any serious issues if necessary.

Will Kaplan prepare me to take any official exams?

We offer exam preparation courses such as IELTS, TOEFL® or Cambridge exams (FCE, CAE and CPE), which you can take at your school. We also offer preparation for SAT, GMAT® or GRE® in some U.S. schools. Please note that the exam fee is not included in the tuition price and needs to be paid separately.

How old do I have to be to take a language course?

For most of our programs you must be at least 16 years old. However, there are summer programs for younger students. For more details please contact us, or you can read about our Programs for Juniors.

Should I be covered by insurance?

You should have valid medical insurance for your entire stay. If you need insurance, we can provide it but please tell your education advisor in advance.

Does Kaplan accept group bookings?

Yes, Kaplan does take full groups of students for courses. For more information, please directly e-mail [email protected]

What is Kaplan's admissions process?

Applications can be done either by filling out our application form, or by booking online. For more information about our admissions process, please see the relevant section of the Terms and Conditions.

What social programs do the schools offer?

Each school has its own social coordinator who will make sure you have a good time during your stay. A full activities program is offered in each school.

What provisions exist for students with learning/other disabilities or illness?

Kaplan encourages all students to study with us, regardless of any disability or illness. Education is a right that everyone should be able to experience, and we will always do our best to accommodate a student’s needs.

Upon application, students must note any mental or physical illness or disability that could have an effect on their ability to successfully complete their program, or affect another student or member of staff during their stay. It is also important for us to know if there is any risk of needing emergency treatment or intervention, or any special accommodation requirements, so we are well equipped to deal with any potential problems.

In the unlikely event that a student becomes too much of a risk in terms of their own health and the health of other students and staff, or is unlikely to complete their program, their application or enrolment may be regretfully ended. Any refunds will be decided on a case by case basis.

In the USA, some schools located on university campuses require students to provide a Health Declaration and Immunization form.