Information for students under 18
Kaplan recognizes its responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of students aged 18 and under, within the UK legal framework and criteria of our educational oversight and accrediting bodies.
We aim to ensure a safe, positive and pleasant study and home environment for all students. We show an additional duty of care towards our students who are legally minors, monitoring them more closely than other students and requesting all parents of under-18s to sign consent forms within the Minor Documents which are required pre- enrolment for all students aged 18 and under.
- All Kaplan International Languages staff and homestay hosts follow our Safeguarding Policy, which includes training and regular guidance
- All Kaplan International Languages staff and hosts in regular contact with under-18s are subject to rigorous safer recruitment procedures and necessary police checks
- All Kaplan International Languages schools have a named contact person for under-18s, who meets with the students on a regular basis, explains the legal status of under-18s, monitors any accommodation issues and liaises with the homestay and students’ parents if necessary
- We ensure there are activities in the school which are suitable for students under the age of 18 to participate in, and we inform under-18s about learning and socializing outside of the classroom
- All under-18s must be back in their Kaplan accommodation for their evening meal and must follow the curfew conditions, which are explained to them during their day one induction.
- Under-18s are not permitted to stay away from their Kaplan accommodation overnight unless accompanied by a Kaplan member of staff, a group leader, or a responsible adult appointed by the parents.
- Under-18 students must ask the school team for permission to stay overnight or for short periods with friends/family—this will only be granted if there is written approval from their parents/ legal guardian and the person they wish to stay with.
- A 24-hour emergency phone number is given to students. Under-18s are asked to save this number in their contacts for ease of reference.
- Homestay hosts also have the emergency phone number and will alert the school immediately if a student is not home by the arranged time/curfew.
Please see the full Safeguarding Policy for more information.