VISA - Canada visa

Can I extend my stay as a student?

If you have a Study Permit, you can apply to extend your stay as a student over 6 months through a Canadian visa office within Canada.

If you do not have a Study Permit you can extend your course or enrol in another course as long as you are not studying for longer than 6 months in total. If you would like to extend your studies in Canada beyond 6 months and do not have a Study Permit, you must apply for a Study Permit at a Canadian visa office outside of Canada.

More information regarding an application for changed conditions or extending your stay in Canada as a student can be found at

Last updated: 
16 August 2021
If you question is not answered here, please contact student advisor.