VISA - United States visa

I want to travel with my family. Can I do that?

Yes. The student’s spouse and any children under the age of 21 can travel as dependents. The dependent will be issued a “Dependent I-20” under the student's I-20; there is no SEVIS fee for the dependent I-20. Each listed dependent will need to apply for a F-2 visa.

Yes, US law requires that we collect documentation to verify you are able to support your studies and your dependents during your stay in the US for the duration of your program before an I-20 can be issued. This can be any of the following: 1. Payment in full (including Kaplan-arranged accommodation); 2. Bank Statement (no more than 6 months old, in your name, and converted to USD); 3. Government Sponsor Financial Guarantee; 4. Letter of Support and Bank Statement from Sponsor (e.g. spouse, employer, relative); and 5. Letter from bank verifying sufficient funds (must be in English and not more than 6 months old).

In addition to proof of funds, please also provide the following:

  • A copy of each dependent’s passport, and
  • A written statement of the relationship of each dependent to you.

Note: it is recommended that the dependent go to the visa interview with the student and travel with the student.

Last updated: 
19 April 2021
If you question is not answered here, please contact student advisor.