Benefits of learning English
Why should I learn English?
While you are thinking where to study English and which course to take, you might also want to ask yourself: why should I learn English?
There are lots of good reasons to learn English, from the professional to the personal. It is one of the six official languages of the United Nations, and more than 67 countries have English as their official or native language, more than any other language in the world.
- Learning English can really help you in your career and enhance your CV
- Research suggests that on average, people who use languages in their jobs earn around 8% more
- Over 1/3 of businesses want people specifically for their language skills
- The international business community often uses English to communicate, and often requires employees to speak multiple languages
- Building relationships with people – professionally or otherwise – is an invaluable skill
- Although it is hard to estimate the exact numbers of English language speakers in the world, it is thought that about one billion people speak English as a first or second language, the joint-highest number of any language
- 55% of all websites are in English
- The majority of electronic communication is in English – being able to read and write emails is a big advantage
- If you want to study at university in countries like the US and the UK, you need to be proficient in English
- The number of people learning English is expected to reach around 2 billion people over the next decade
- There are several exams for international students that measure English ability and are globally recognized
- Learning a language can give you a great sense of personal achievement and fulfilment
- Some of the world’s best music, films, and TV shows are in English. Understanding the language will give you a better appreciation of these cultural highlights
- Speaking English will help you meet all kinds of people and make great friends
- Learning English with Kaplan also means travelling to another country
- Learning English abroad will help give you a better understanding of other cultures
- The English you learn while abroad will help you to travel more easily