Visa - UK visa

UK visa

You may have to apply for a visa to study at Kaplan International Languages. We put at your disposal all the relevant information and help to guide you through the visa requirements and the application processes to study in the UK.

Our goal is to answer any questions you may have, so please check our answers below. If you can not find the answer to your question, you can get more information by contacting a student counselor.

In short: if you would like to study in the UK, you will need a visa if you are not a member of the EU / USA.

UK visa information

No – whether you are on a Tier 4 visa or a Short term study visa you cannot work in the UK when studying on a course at Kaplan International Languages.

Last updated: 26 March 2020

You will need a visa if you:

  • Are not an EEA national
  • Are stateless (you don't have a nationality)
  • Hold a non-national travel document, or
  • Hold a passport issued by an authority that is not recognised in the UK

If you are a non-visa national you do not need to apply for entry clearance and can obtain your visa on arrival in the UK. You must have all your Kaplan documents to show the Entry Clearance Officer and will receive a VST stamp in your passport which allows you to study for a maximum of 6 months. If you are a non-visa national and wish to study for more than 6 months (on an English Language course only) you will need to apply for the Short term study visa (11 months) in your home country.

Last updated: 30 September 2019

It is important to apply well before you intend to begin your course. Many students do not realise how long the process will take, and do not leave enough time. Your application may require you to:

  • have certain vaccinations or – if you are coming from a tuberculosis high-risk area – a chest x-ray
  • produce documents showing your finances and qualifications
  • attend an interview or a biometric test

Average visa processing times vary depending on your country. You can get an idea from UKVI's visa service pages.

Last updated: 01 February 2016

The below two visas are suitable for students who want to do a short course, or an 11-month English language course:

Short-term study visa (up to 6 months): This visa is valid for up to 6 months and is available for both adults and juniors studying on any course in the UK. Note, the visa issued for under 16’s may also be called “short term study visa (child)”.

Short-term Student visa (6 or 11 months): This visa is valid for 6-11 months and is available for students 16 years+ enrolled on an English language course in the UK.

Kaplan International Edinburgh holds a Tier 4 license which allows students 16 years+ to apply for a Tier 4 visa to continue their post-16 studies.

Last updated: 26 March 2020

To be eligible for a Tier 4 (General) student visa under the points based system you must have a total of 40 points, to gain the necessary points you should:

  • Apply to a school that is accredited by an accrediting body approved by UK Visa & Immigration.
  • Apply to a school that is on the UKVI Register of Sponsors (only education institutions accredited by an approved accrediting body are eligible to apply to be on the Register). Kaplan International Languages Edinburgh is the only college you can apply for a Tier 4 visa.

This will give you an initial 30 points, a final 10 points are obtained by showing you have sufficient funds to pay for your course and your living expenses in the UK.

Last updated: 25 March 2020

You can apply in a number of ways, for example, by post, by courier, in person or online. Staff at the visa application office or Visa Section (visa application office) can inform you of the most suitable application methods.

Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for your visa online please visit the visa 4UK website.

You should apply for a student visa in the country of which you are a national or where you legally live.

Last updated: 30 September 2019

You have to demonstrate to immigration officials that you have enough funds in your bank account to cover your course fees for one year or the whole length of course if shorter than a year and enough living expenses for your first 9 months stay in the UK which is calculated as £1265 per month for London and £1015 per month for everywhere else in the UK.

You should submit ONE of the following as evidence of funds:

  • A bank account statement
  • A building society/savings account type passbook
  • A dated and signed letter from a financial institution stating that you are the account holder, the account number, and the funds in the account held over the minimum 28 day period
  • You may use your parents bank account but will need to provide a birth certificate and accompanying letter from your parents confirming they agree for you to use their bank account
Last updated: 30 September 2019

You must submit evidence to the UK Embassy/Consulate that you meet a minimum English language level of CEFR B1 when applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. The test must be on the approved SELT (secure English language test) list available on the UKVI website – please check for the most up to date list.

Last updated: 26 March 2020

If your English level is below CEFR B1 (i.e. Beginner or Elementary) you can only initially apply for a Short term study visa and then would have to re-apply for the Tier 4 student visa in your home country when you have achieved the required level.

Last updated: 30 September 2019

You should provide a stamped letter of confirmation from your official sponsor on official letter headed stationery. This letter should state:

  • Your full name
  • Name and contact details of your sponsor
  • Date of the letter
  • Length of the sponsorship
  • Confirmation that your sponsor will meet all your course fees/living expenses. In cases of part-sponsorship, you must show that you have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover the remainder of the fees and living expenses.
Last updated: 25 March 2020

You must send the originals of all documents requested when applying for your visa. We also strongly recommend that they bring copies in your hand luggage as they will be checked again at the point of entry into the UK.

Last updated: 06 January 2016

If you have applied for a visa (outside of the UK) for a course of 6 months or more instead of receiving a visa for the duration of your course, you will receive a temporary visa that is valid for 30 days. This will only allow you to enter the UK, you will then have to collect your visa for your course. 

The visa you will collect will be a Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) and is a separate card, (referred to as a Biometric Immigration Document or BID). You must collect your BRP within ten days of arrival in the UK.

When you apply for your visa on-line you need to put your address as the College address – this means that your BRP will be available for you to collect from a local Post Office and Kaplan staff will help arrange for you to collect this with-in the time period. You will also have received a letter with your temporary 30 day visa that you must bring with you to the UK as you will need to show this when collecting your BRP.

All student visas issued are monitored by UK VI. Kaplan therefore has a duty to check the following documents and contact details of all students attending a Kaplan International Languages school:

  • Passport - please bring to school on your first day - each student’s passport photo page and UK visa details will be photocopied and stored in your student file.
  • You must provide full contact details (full address and a telephone/mobile number) to school staff on the first day, even if you have made your own accommodation arrangements. We also require contact details of a next of kin.
  • If you arrived on a Tier 4 (General) student visa you must bring the original evidence you provided to obtain your visa.

The school will check your attendance in class daily. Kaplan International Languages expects you to attend all you classes.

You must inform the school in advance of any planned absence such as an official appointment or family commitment. In these cases, you must present documentary evidence like an appointment card, official letter to request absence (etc.) to the school staff. In the event of an unexpected illness, you are required to telephone the school on the morning of your illness. If the illness persists, you should seek medical advice and arrange for a doctor’s note.

Last updated: 26 March 2020

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa (from outside the United Kingdom): £348.00
Short-term Student visa 6 months (£97.00) & 11 months (£186.00)

*prices correct as of 10.10.19.

Last updated: 25 March 2020

Students on Short term study visas must intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of their period of study, or before their visa expires, whichever is soonest.

Tier 4 students studying at KI Edinburgh cannot extend their visa in the UK and must also return home once their visa has expired.

Last updated: 20 December 2019

You may only bring dependants if you are studying on a Tier 4 (General) student visa and you are sponsored for a course of 6 months or more.

Last updated: 30 September 2019

Contact UK Visa and Immigration here: 

English UK also provides useful information to help international students prepare for study in the UK.

Last updated: 30 September 2019