United Kingdom Visa Information

You may have to apply for a visa to study at Kaplan International Languages. We put at your disposal all the relevant information and help to guide you through the visa requirements and the application processes to study in the UK.

Our goal is to answer any questions you may have, so please check our answers below. If you can not find the answer to your question, you can get more information by contacting a student counselor.

UK visa information

Can I work in the UK during my studies at Kaplan?

No – whether you have a Short-term study or Visitor visa you are not allowed to work in the UK when studying on a course at Kaplan International Languages.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

From 1.1.21 all students, including EEA nationals, will require a visa to study in the UK.

EEA nationals
If you are an EEA national, and wish to study for up to 6 months, you do not need to apply for entry clearance and can study as a visitor at a Kaplan school. If you wish to study for more than 6 months (on an English Language course only) you will need to apply for the Short-term study visa (11 months) in your home country before arriving in the UK

Non-EEA nationals
If you are a non-EEA national, and wish to study for up to 6 months, you will need to apply for a Visitor Visa in your home country before arriving in the UK. If you are going to study more than 6 months, you will need to apply for the Short-term study visa (11 months) in your home country.

When should I apply for a visa?

It is important to apply well before you intend to begin your course. Many students do not realise how long the process will take, and do not leave enough time. Your application may require you to:

  • have certain vaccinations or – if you are coming from a tuberculosis high-risk area – a chest x-ray
  • produce documents showing your finances and qualifications
  • attend an interview or a biometric test

Average visa processing times vary depending on your country. You can get an idea from UKVI's visa service pages.

What is the process if my course is sponsored?

You should provide a stamped letter of confirmation from your official sponsor on official letter headed stationery. This letter should state:

  • Your full name
  • Name and contact details of your sponsor
  • Date of the letter
  • Length of the sponsorship
  • Confirmation that your sponsor will meet all your course fees/living expenses. In cases of part-sponsorship, you must show that you have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover the remainder of the fees and living expenses.

What do I do with my documents?

You must send the originals of all documents requested when applying for your visa. We also strongly recommend that they bring copies in your hand luggage as they will be checked again at the point of entry into the UK.

Is there anything else I need to do once I get my visa?

If you have applied for a visa (outside of the UK) for a course of 6 months or more instead of receiving a visa for the duration of your course, you will receive a temporary visa that is valid for 30 days. This will only allow you to enter the UK, you will then have to collect your visa for your course. 

The visa you will collect will be a Biometric Resident Permit (BRP) and is a separate card, (referred to as a Biometric Immigration Document or BID). You must collect your BRP within ten days of arrival in the UK.

When you apply for your visa on-line you need to put your address as the College address – this means that your BRP will be available for you to collect from a local Post Office and Kaplan staff will help arrange for you to collect this with-in the time period. You will also have received a letter with your temporary 30 day visa that you must bring with you to the UK as you will need to show this when collecting your BRP.

Kaplan therefore has a duty to check the following documents and contact details of all students attending a Kaplan International Languages school:

  • Passport - please bring to school on your first day - each student’s passport photo page and UK visa details will be photocopied and stored in your student file.
  • You must provide full contact details (full address and a telephone/mobile number) to school staff on the first day, even if you have made your own accommodation arrangements. We also require contact details of a next of kin.

The school will check your attendance in class daily. Kaplan International Languages expects you to attend all you classes.

You must inform the school in advance of any planned absence such as an official appointment or family commitment. In these cases, you must present documentary evidence like an appointment card, official letter to request absence (etc.) to the school staff. In the event of an unexpected illness, you are required to telephone the school on the morning of your illness. If the illness persists, you should seek medical advice and arrange for a doctor’s note.

What is the cost of my visa?

From outside the United Kingdom: £348.00
Visitor Visa £115.00 (applying from outside the UK)
Short-term Study visa £200.00

*prices correct as of 27.03.24

Can I extend my visa in the UK?

Students on a Visitor or Short-term study visa cannot extend their visa in the UK.

Can I bring dependents into the UK?

You are unable to bring dependents to the UK on a visitor visa or short-term study visa.

Where can I get more advice and information?

Contact UK Visa and Immigration here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration 

English UK also provides useful information to help international students prepare for study in the UK.

If you cannot find an answer to your question, get in touch for a free consultation in your local language.

Contact an Advisor